新概念英语美音版第二册:Lesson 92 Asking for trouble

作者:未知 来源:未知 2015-06-12 我要评论( )

    Lesson 92 Asking for trouble
    自找麻烦

    First listen and then answer the question.
    听录音,然后回答以下问题。
    Why did the policeman ask the writer to come to the police station?
    It must have been about two in the morning when I returned home.
    我回到家时,肯定已是凌晨两点左右了。
    I tried to wake up my wife by ringing the doorbell, but she was fast asleep,
    我按响了门铃,试图唤醒我的妻子,但她睡得很熟。
    so I got a ladder from the shed in the garden, put it against the wall, and began climbing towards the bedroom window.
    于是,我从花园的小棚里搬来了一个梯子,把它靠在墙边,开始向卧室的窗口爬去。
    I was almost there when a sarcastic voice below said, 'I don't think the windows need cleaning at this time of the night.'
    快要爬到窗口时,下面一个人用讽刺的口吻说:“我看不必在夜里这个时候擦窗子吧。”
    I looked down and nearly fell off the ladder when I saw a policeman.
    我向下面看去。当我看清是一个警察时,差一点儿从梯子上掉下去。
    I immediately regretted answering in the way I did, but I said, 'I enjoy cleaning windows at night.'
    我回答了他的话,但马上又后悔不该那样说,我是这样说的:“我喜欢在夜里擦窗子。”
    'So do I,' answered the policeman in the same tone. 'Excuse my interrupting you.
    “我也是的,”警察用同样的声调回答,“请原谅我打断了您。
    I hate to interrupt a man when he's busy working, but would you mind coming with me to the station?'
    当一个人在忙着干活时,我是不愿意去打断他的,但请您跟我到警察局去一趟好吗?”
    'Well, I'd prefer to stay here,' I said. 'You see. I've forgotten my key.'
    “可我更愿意呆在这儿,”我说,“您瞧,我忘带钥匙了。”
    'Your what?' he called.
    “什么?”他大声问。
    'My key,' I shouted.
    “钥匙!”我喊道。
    Fortunately, the shouting woke up my wife who opened the window just as the policeman had started to climb towards me.
    幸运得很,这喊声惊醒了我的妻子。就在警察开始向我爬上来时,她打开了窗子。

      网友点评