Lesson 5 The facts
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
What was the consequence of the editor's insistence on facts and statistics?
Editors of newspapers and magazines often go to extremes to provide their readers with unimportant facts and statistics.
Last year a journalist had been instructed by a well-known magazine to write an article on the president's palace in a new African republic.
When the article arrived, the editor read the first sentence and then refused to publish it.
The article began: 'Hundreds of steps lead to the high wall which surrounds the president's palace'.
The editor at once sent the journalist a fax instructing him to find out the exact number of steps and the height of the wall.
The journalist immediately set out to obtain these important facts,^记者立即出发去核实这些重要的事实，
but he took a long time to send them. Meanwhile, the editor was getting impatient, for the magazine would soon go to press.
He sent the journalist two more faxes, but received no reply.
He sent yet another fax informing the journalist that if he did not reply soon he would be fired.
When the journalist again failed to reply, the editor reluctantly published the article as it had originally been written.
A week later, the editor at last received a fax from the journalist.
Not only had the poor man been arrested, but he had been sent to prison as well.
However, he had at last been allowed to send a fax in which he informed the editor^不过，他终于获准发回了一份传真。在传真中他告诉编辑，
that he had been arrested while counting the 1,084 steps leading to the fifteen-foot wall which surrounded the president's palace.
新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 5 The facts
作者：未知 来源：未知 2015-06-13
Lesson 5 The facts
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 60 Too early and too late (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 59 Collecting (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 58 A spot of bother (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 57 Back in the old country (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 56 Our neighbour, the river (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 55 From the earth: Greetings (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 54 Instinct or cleverness? (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 53 In the Public interest (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 52 Mud is mud (2015-06-13)
- [NPR] GOP Tax Law Sparks Confusion And Outcry In Blue States As N.Y. Threatens Lawsuit
- [科学美国人] 男生中开始流行升调发音技能
- [第三册] 新概念英语第三册新东方Flash版 35-02
- [NPR] 'The Hate U Give' Star Says The Novel Was Like 'Reading My Own Diary'
- [AP] 印尼狮子航空失事飞机数据记录仪找到
- [第三册] 新概念英语第三册新东方Flash版 21-01
- [NPR] 英国两百多名人涉嫌性侵儿童 警方发起灭火行动
- [NPR] Life-Threatening Heart Attack Leaves Teacher With $108,951 Bill
- [旅游英语天天说] 第108天:如何付小费