Lesson 6 Smash-and-grab
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
How did Mr. Taylor try to stop the thieves?
The expensive shops in a famous arcade near Piccadilly were just opening.
At this time of the morning, the arcade was almost empty.
Mr. Taylor, the owner of a jewellery shop was admiring a new window display.
Two of his assistants had been working busily since eight o'clock and had only just finished.
Diamond necklaces and rings had been beautifully arranged on a background of black velvet.
After gazing at the display for several minutes, Mr. Taylor went back into his shop.
The silence was suddenly broken when a large car, with its headlights on and its horn blaring, roared down the arcade.
It came to a stop outside the jeweller's.
One man stayed at the wheel while two others with black stockings over their faces jumped out and smashed the window of the shop with iron bars.
While this was going on, Mr. Taylor was upstairs.
He and his staff began throwing furniture out of the window. Chairs and tables went flying into the arcade.
One of the thieves was struck by a heavy statue, but he was too busy helping himself to diamonds to notice any pain.
The raid was all over in three minutes, for the men scrambled back into the car and it moved off at a fantastic speed.
Just as it was leaving, Mr. Taylor rushed out and ran after it throwing ashtrays and vases, but it was impossible to stop the thieves.
They had got away with thousands of pounds worth of diamonds.
新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 6 Smash-and-grab
作者：未知 来源：未知 2015-06-13
Lesson 6 Smash-and-grab
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 60 Too early and too late (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 59 Collecting (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 58 A spot of bother (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 57 Back in the old country (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 56 Our neighbour, the river (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 55 From the earth: Greetings (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 54 Instinct or cleverness? (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 53 In the Public interest (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 52 Mud is mud (2015-06-13)
- [NPR] Smartphone Detox: How To Power Down In A Wired World
- [CRI] ＂Do Not Marry before Age 30＂ by Joy Chen
- [经济学人] 古气候学—先知水域
- [CRI] Internet Finance to Make a Difference in China's Finance Development
- [CNN] 海底沉睡77载 日本两艘二战航母残骸得到确认
- [ 赖世雄讲英语第三册] Lesson 26 The Story of Father's Day 父亲节的故事
- [科学美国人] 太阳能造价或将更为低廉?
- [科学美国人] Wolves Have Local Howl Accents
- [经济学人] 东南亚地区的东瀛资本 向外拓展