Lesson 59 Collecting
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
What in particular does a person gain when he or she becomes a serious collector?
People tend to amass possessions, sometimes without being aware of doing so.
Indeed they can have a delightful surprise when they find something useful which they did not know they owned.
Those who never have to move house become indiscriminate collectors of what can only be described as clutter.
They leave unwanted objects in drawers, cupboards and attics for years, in the belief that they may one day need just those very things.
As they grow old, people also accumulate belongings for two other reasons,
lack of physical and mental energy, both of which are essential in turning out and throwing away, and sentiment.
Things owned for a long time are full associations with the past, perhaps with relatives who are dead,^东西搁得时间久了，便会充满着与过去岁月的联系，比方说与死去的亲戚有关。
and so they gradually acquire a value beyond their true worth.
Some things are collected deliberately in the home in an attempt to avoid waste.
Among these I would list string and brown paper,
kept by thrifty people when a parcel has been opened, to save buying these two requisites.
Collecting small items can easily become a mania.
I know someone who always cuts sketches out from newspapers of model clothes that she would like to buy if she had the money.
As she is not rich, the chances that she will ever be able to afford such purchases are remote;
but she is never sufficiently strong-minded to be able to stop the practice.
It is a harmless habit, but it litters up her desk to such an extent that every time she opens it, loose bits of paper fall out in every direction.
Collecting as a serious hobby is quite different and has many advantages.
It provides relaxation for leisure hours, as just looking at one's treasures is always a joy.
One does not have to go outside for amusement, since the collection is housed at home.
Whatever it consists of, stamps, records, first editions of books china, glass,
antique furniture, pictures, model cars, stuffed birds, toy animals,
there is always something to do in connection with it, from finding the right place for the latest addition, to verifying facts in reference books.
This hobby educates one not only in the chosen subject, but also in general matters which have some bearing on it.
There are also other benefits.
One wants to meet like-minded collectors, to get advice, to compare notes, to exchange articles, to show off the latest find.
So one's circle of friends grows.
Soon the hobby leads to travel, perhaps to a meeting in another town, possibly a trip abroad in search of a rare specimen,
for collectors are not confined to any one country.
Over the years, one may well become an authority on one's hobby and will very probably be asked to give informal talks to little gatherings and then,
if successful, to larger audiences.
In this way self-confidence grows, first from mastering a subject, then from being able to talk about it.
Collecting, by occupying spare time so constructively, makes a person contented, with no time for boredom.
新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 59 Collecting
作者：未知 来源：未知 2015-06-13
Lesson 59 Collecting
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 60 Too early and too late (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 58 A spot of bother (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 57 Back in the old country (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 56 Our neighbour, the river (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 55 From the earth: Greetings (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 54 Instinct or cleverness? (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 53 In the Public interest (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 52 Mud is mud (2015-06-13)
- 新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 51 Predicting the future (2015-06-13)
- [双语阅读] 不爱吃奥利奥夹心？技术宅发明奥利奥饼干分离器
- [NPR] 亚利桑那州大火持续蔓延 美欲暂停对泰国军事援助
- [AP] 苹果公司否认逃税数十亿
- [科学美国人] 饮食多样性降低对农作物和美国造成威胁
- [NPR] To Repel Ticks, Try Spraying Your Clothes With A Pesticide That Mimics Mums
- [NPR] Gay Journalist Leaves The Left Behind And Embraces A 'Brand New Conservative'
- [科学美国人] Road Noise Takes a Toll on Migrating Birds
- [CRI] 中国全速推进医院改革
- [科学美国人] 寻找到微小的生命伙伴